One of the main cultures is the traditional food in Greece. The Greeks love to eat, and to experience the cuisine during your visit to Rhodes is a must.
There are lots of places waiting to offer you the best in traditional Greek dining, and hey – you are on holiday, so why not eh?
Of course there are many dishes to try when it comes to dining out, so here I just wanted to tell you a few of the more popular ones so you know what to expect!
The Greek diet here is mainly the same as the Mediterranean diet, so seafood is extremely well-received as are meat dishes and vegetables, they come in many varieties too!
I am sure that most of the people that visit Greece are aching to try the Souvlaki.
Skewered pork meat, a Greek culinary staple, offers a succulent and flavorful experience.
Typically, it comes paired with Tzatziki, potatoes, or a Greek Salad, depending on your preference.
If you are really hungry, then why not have it all?
Also, there is the famous Moussaka, Gyros and Squid.
Check out the most popular list further down.
One thing that is very traditional in Greek Culture is to share the food.
Traditionally, instead of having individual plates of food, Greeks often embrace a different approach.
Primarily, food is served on communal platters and placed at the center of the table for everyone to share.
This can be meat, fries, salads, side dishes and bread. From these different plates everybody takes what they want.
With this in mind it is good manners to keep your hands in view and refrain from putting your elbows on the dinner table.
When it comes to the bread, you will take the piece you want from the middle of the table.
If it is too big, you break it with your hands, and put the piece back that you do not want.
It goes without saying that you do not take the bread, give it a big bite with your teeth and then put it back to the middle.
You may laugh, but I have seen it done, and it was not well received or appreciated.
It is normal to sit and talk during meals too. It is also common to drink wine, Ouzo and water and generally pass the time.
The old-fashioned saying of ‘do not talk at the table’ does not apply here.
It is all about enjoying the good food and each other’s company!
What Is The Most Traditional Food in Greece?
- Feta – Of course we are all aware of the famous Feta cheese (and Goats Cheese)
- Stifado – This dish skillfully combines rabbit or hare with onions, oregano, and garlic, creating a flavorful blend. A very tasty meal
- Kalamarakia – Fried squid, a popular Greek dish, tantalizes the taste buds with its crispy texture. Very tasty and well worth giving it a try.
- Choriatiki – This is a traditional Greek Salad. Tomatoes, Onions, Olives, Olive oil and more – I love this and recommend it to anyone.
- Souvlaki – As I mentioned earlier, this dish typically consists of skewered pork, usually accompanied by potatoes, vegetables, and/or a Greek Salad.
- Moussaka – In Greek, it’s spelled “Moysakas,” a casserole-style dish made with aubergines.
- Gyros – One of the most famous foods here and regularly tried by the tourists too. It is pork or chicken meat served with Pita bread in the form of a kebab. Again this comes with a little salad and potatoes all wrapped up. Really delicious!
Well, that doesn’t sound too bad does it? I mean most people would give them a try and be quite happy I would think.
What about one more dish though?
It made me squirm a little I will confess, and to this day I have not tried it, and probably won’t either!
It makes my Greek friends laugh at me, but hey, we are not all the same.
Tell me what you think!
Lambs Brain!!!! – I do not think it needs a description. It is pretty clear in my opinion, as is the fact I will never eat it. 🙂
See The Video For An Overview Of The Most Popular Tasty Greek Dishes
Traditional Food in Greece: Restaurants.
There are lots of restaurants on the island of Rhodes and I will be listing some of them as the site develops.
Naturally, you can find traditionally priced restaurants offering fine Greek cuisine along with enjoyable entertainment.
By paying a bit more, you can enhance your dining experience even further.
More coming on this soon!
What ever option you choose to try you will have a great time.
The restaurant owners here are very friendly and will dedicate themselves to seeing you have the best time possible!
Traditional Food in Greece: Overall
Have you ever sampled the traditional food in Greece? If so, what did you think?
Personally I love the food in Greece and would love to hear your thoughts too!
Just do not talk to me about lamb brain 🙂
Leave me a comment below if you have something to add or share.